Updated: Jul 13
Koko Head Crater Trail is one of the best thing to do in Oahu if you are visiting. Despite the crowd and its steep climb, many have still been wanting to go here. The panoramic view from this trailer from side to side is just breathtaking.
Koko Head's Story:
At the time of the World War II, militaries built several hideouts on mountains and one of those is at the summit of Koko Head crater. This 1000 plus steps hike railroad were once used by the military previously during World War II to transport their supplies to a lookout post at the summit.
Tips and Preparation For This Hike:
1. Start as early as 5am so that it will be easier and not too hot while hiking. you can also get to see the sunrise by then.
2. Be sure to wear rubber shoes and proper hike clothes.
3. Must bring water and food, it is a 2km hike on a steep railroad which could be dehydrating for some.
4. It is ok to hike with kids but with proper guidance.
5. Make sure that your body is in right condition as this is one of the difficult hikes in Oahu
6. Cover ups is a must since this hike have no shade at all.
How To Get Here:
-find this address at Gmaps 7602-7604 Koko Head Park Rd, Honolulu, HI 96825
# if you are from Waikiki:
-take the Kalanianaole Hwy (H1) heading south.
-keep driving until you see the Hawaii Kai Shopping Center.
-from there, turn left on Lunalilo Home Rd
-turn right onto Anapalau St then turn Left into Koko Head District Park
-you can park by the baseball field and walk towards Koko Head
- Catch Bus 22 in Waikiki heading Hawaii Kai
- Get off at Kalanianaole Hwy + Hanauma Bay Rd
- ask the driver to drop you off the nearest path to Koko Head
- Walk to koko Head
Direction via map: Click Here
My very own Experience Hiking the Koko Head
1. Heading to Koko Head hike! Which is this beautiful landscape right in front of the road.
2. If you see these shoes ahead, you are walking in the right path!
3. Then you will see this very path that looks so easy ain't it? but prepare for an adventure!
4. While halfway to the top, stop and look back to see this beautiful view!!!
5. Be extra careful on this spot because it is a cliff underneath!
6. I have an asthma and I'm almost here at the top don't lose hope!
7. I made it all the way here passing 1048 steps and the view is worth it!
8. Spent some more time taking great pictures like this!!!
9. Don't forget to explore more at the top they have this on the other side!
10. Also, this view is hiding by the side too!
11. The Sunrise is one amazing thing to see here!
12. The view of the Koko Head from afar is also worth it!
For more post like this, please support us by liking our page and following our Instagram account found below. Or leave us a comment. Thank you!!!